Room Formerly Known As Rick’s Room: Floored by the effort

Painting is done.  I have visions of a nice floor that isn’t carpet.  I have to consider Ms. Sascha when I pick a floor though.  Rich likes to say she has diamond tipped nails.  That’s pretty close to the truth.  They are almost harder than diamonds.

After shopping around, I found a hickory laminate floor that I could afford.  Now I was hoping it was easy to install.  Rich would be making the cuts on the saw for me, but I was planning to put this floor in by myself.  Good luck to me!

I made the order on the floor right before I started to pain.  It should only take a couple of weeks to get the floor into the store.  Unfortunately, it took a little bit longer than that.  I waited and called the store periodically.  In the meantime, I was getting emails that said my floor was in.  It wasn’t.  Finally, a message on the machine said it had arrived.

I made an appointment to pick the floor up.  I arranged with Rich to borrow the truck so I could get it to the house.  At the appointed time, I parked in front of the big rollup door.  The sales guy loaded the nine boxes from the pallet into the back of the truck.

Back at the house, I had to unload the nine boxes myself.  I picked one up and lugged it from the garage through the house to the Room Formerly Known as.  It weighed a little more than I thought I could carry, but it felt good to get it into the house.  It was exactly what I had planned on putting into that room.

Rich came home and I was proud to show it off.  I even recounted making the trip from the garage to the Room Formerly Known as for the nine boxes.  They were all lined up and resting comfortable as they get acclimated to their new home.

The timing wasn’t good for this though.  This was Thursday and my Derby party was on Saturday.  The floor had to acclimate for three days before I could start the installation.  At this point, it was going to be several more days than that before I could think about getting started.

It was a couple of weeks later before I got Rich started to think about the floor.  We planned out how we would start the work and work toward completing the install.  We got the first row in place.  After making the first cuts for the next row, we snapped the planks together and attempted to snap the row into the first row.  It just didn’t want to fit.  The directions said you only had to snap the tongue and groove together.  It just didn’t want to fit.

After some struggle, Rich tapped the row into place.  This was going to take more than I could for the install.  Unfortunately, it was going take a lot out of Rich to do also.  We did three rows and called it quit for the day.  Rich’s tennis elbow was acting up from the stress of pushing and pulling on the floor.

Slowly, but surely, we kept working at the floor three rows at a time.  But the time we reached the middle, Rich figured out that the tapping block needed a line cut down the middle to accept the tongue from the first row.  This made it a little easier, but the locking action didn’t always come easily.  It was taking a lot of strong arm tactics to get it in place.

We were about three-quarters of the way through the install before we finally started to figure out some little things to help.  We were down to just about the last three rows.  We got the last long rows into place.  I figured out on the last row how to use the tapping bar to lift the plank in place.  Doesn’t that figure?

That just left the smaller sections going into the doorway.  It was simpler from here since it was shorter lengths.  Rich made the cuts to get around the wall and across the doorway.  With that done, we did a fist bump and congratulated ourselves on surviving.  We hurt from the pressure and crawling around.

However, the floor looked great.  It shines and the color is great.  I love it!  Thanks, dear, for helping I put in such a great floor.  Now I need to install the floor in the closet and it’s all done.

This morning, we shopped for a new door and the trim going back into the room.  I have a plan.  The rehab continues.

Starting the floor from the left.
Starting the floor from the left.
First rows from the right side of the room.
First rows from the right side of the room.
Halfway from the left side of the room.
Halfway from the left side of the room.
Halfway from the right side of the room.
Halfway from the right side of the room.
Almost done from the left side of the room.
Almost done from the left side of the room.
Almost done from the right side of the room.
Almost done from the right side of the room.
Done from the doorway.
Done from the doorway.
Don from the left side of the room.
Don from the left side of the room.
Done from the right side of the room.
Done from the right side of the room.

1 thought on “Room Formerly Known As Rick’s Room: Floored by the effort”

Comments are closed.